Graduate2019

As I previously mentioned in my education post in regard to Psychology, you can go a different way if you are not interested in becoming a therapist or a researcher. What I mean by that is that Psychology can be applied to a variety of different fields. Actually, when I was a full-time student, I was also enrolled in my university’s co-op program which allowed me to further develop my skills and gain new ones related to my major while being a student. One of the jobs I had was a specialty camp counsellor and administrator for a not-for-profit organization in my area. As a specialty camp counsellor, I had the opportunity to not only work with individuals of all ages and abilities, but I was also able to put to use all of the knowledge acquired through my Psychology related classes up to that point and learn even more. As an administrator, on the other hand, I was able to make use of my research skills which I had been developing through the different assignments for each course. Most of those classes did require you to conduct in-depth research about the subject at hand. 

Another job where my degree also came into play was as a summer travel counsellor. Although not necessarily directly related to Psychology, my education did play a big part in it as well as my transferable skills from previous jobs such as the one mentioned above. This particular job allowed me to further develop my communication, active listening, problem-solving and critical thinking skills, all of which were constantly being put to the test in Psychology related courses. 

As of now, I'm working towards my Human Resources Management certificate to then be able to work in the field as either an HR assistant, generalist, recruiter, etc. All within the same path and all making use of Psychology related theories and concepts. 

• 10 months later...

Hello, the information you provided is interesting! I wanted to become a mental health counsellor, after learning that becoming a psychiatrist requires math and science. I considered becoming a mental health counsellor because psychology is interesting and the cons of being a teacher would not stop bothering me. Then, I switched my career choice back to a teacher because I got the support I needed to pursue that career, so now I am willing to do everything it takes to become a teacher, no matter the obstacles I will encounter. I hope you do reach to your certificate and find the career that suits your interests.