TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)

Hi everyone!

I am Julie. I obtained my master's degree in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).

What is TESOL? The TESOL program is designed for students who wish to become effective English as a second or foreign language (ESL/EFL) teachers after graduation. The courses of TESOL involve Understanding Second Language Learning and Teaching, Syllabus and Materials Design, Teaching and Learning Vocabulary, Teaching and Learning Grammar, Teaching Reading and Writing Skills, Teaching Listening and Speaking Skills, etc. If you wish to teach international students English or teach English in a foreign country, this program is suitable for you!

What is ESL/EFL? ESL applies to learners who live in a country where English is the most commonly used language, such as Canada, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Australia. ESL learners have frequent opportunities to use English outside the classroom. EFL applies to learners who live in a country where English is not their first language, such as Japan, China, Korea, Brazil, and France. EFL learners may not have many opportunities to encounter and use English outside the classroom.

Admission requirements: You do not need to have a bachelor’s degree in English or education to apply for the TESOL program. Some of my classmates have bachelor’s degrees in business, psychology, and engineering! However, prior language teaching experience is recommended. I worked as an EFL teacher during my undergraduate period. Besides, there are many EFL and ESL volunteer opportunities. You could work as a facilitator in an English conversation program to help international students enhance spoken English skills.

• Like 1